Clinical Research Center
Table of Contents
Clinical Research Center Overview
The Clinical Research Center (CRC) within Virginia Mason can be used for multiple types of research protocols including, but not limited to, investigator initiated or early phase studies. This state-of-the-art facility provides a controlled, patient-centered environment for adult and pediatric clinical trials.
The CRC is equipped to conduct a large variety of research trials. Active research includes trials for type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and cancer.
Patients at the CRC receive the best possible treatment and oversight of research procedures from simple interviews to more complex therapies including autologous cellular products, monoclonal antibody infusions, and live bacteria and virus vaccine infusions. The nurses in the CRC are ACLS and PALS certified, and have extensive training and experience in conducting drug and device clinical trials.
This facility offers research participants a specialized environment and amenities to make their research experience comfortable and rewarding. Research scientists benefit from experienced staff committed to research participant safety, research study quality and assurance that procedures are conducted as directed by protocol.
- Dedicated research rooms with five comfortable hospital beds (one private, two semi-private)
- Private phlebotomy rooms with four draw chairs
- Private research participant restroom
- Specimen processing lab
- Locked medication room
- Computer work stations
Equipment And Supplies
The CRC makes the following available to investigators:
- -20 C freezer and refrigerator for specimens
- Centrifuges: refrigerated and room temperature
- DCA 2000+ analyzer
- Digital lab scale/balance
- Dry and wet ice
- Harvard trip balance
- Urine collection
- Urine pregnancy testing
- YSI 2300 STAT Plus
- Full adult crash cart
- Pediatric Broslow PALS bag
- Locked medication room with medication refrigerator
- EKG machine
- Bedside 3-lead cardiac monitor
- Blood glucose monitor (lancets, strips, glucometers)
- Alaris PC 8100 and 8015 infusion pumps
- Portable electronic Welch Allyn vital sign monitors (with pulse oximetry)
- Manual sphygmomanometers
- Thermometers (oral and temporal)
- Oxygen in each room
- Otoscope and ophthalmoscope
- Stadiometer and scale
- Tanita body composition analyzer
- TV/VCR in each room (with a selection of classic videos)
- Kitchen with refrigerated juices for blood draws
- In-room meals delivered by Virginia Mason Dietary Services
- Toys, stickers, or stuffed animals offered to pediatric patients
Additional equipment can be obtained as needed.
Common clinical research services include, but are not limited to:
- IV infusions with investigational agents
- IM/SQ injections
- Metabolic Tests (MMTT, OGTT, and IVGTTs)
- Device studies
There is no standard of care billing on the CRC.
Industry studies are charged a one-time application fee of $500, and study visits are billed in 30 minute (minimum) increments based on nursing intensity and time.
Please contact Elizabeth Karman (Nurse Manager) with any specific billing questions: Elizabeth.Karman@VirginiaMason.org
Contact & Hours
Main Contact Information
Benaroya Research Institute
Clinical Research Center
925 Seneca St., H8-CRC
Seattle, WA 98101-2795
Regular Hours of Operation for Clinical Research Center
Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 4:00PM*
*Protocols requiring extended day, weekend, or overnight visits may be accommodated.