Clinical Research Program at a Glance
Benaroya Research Institute administers the Clinical Research Program (CRP) at Virginia Mason, overseeing the efficient and compliant implementation of clinical trials in many disease areas. The CRP Administration (CRPA) centralized processes ensure the efficient start-up of new studies with an average time from protocol submission to subject enrollment of 8-12 weeks. The CRPA conducts financial and site audits to ensure compliance to federal regulations and sponsor–specific requirements. The BRI Institutional Review Board (IRB) facilitates review of industry-sponsored studies by Western IRB (WIRB) or QUORUM and meets monthly.
- 150+ investigators conducting research
- 400+ active studies (approximately 40 percent industry-sponsored)
- Highly trained clinical research staff
- Dedicated investigational drug services (research pharmacy)
- Laboratory space available for specimen processing including: refrigerator, -20 and -70 degree freezers, centrifuge, and ECG
- Training programs for investigators and staff
- Detailed standard operating procedures
- Centralized clinical trial management system facilitates enrollment tracking and billing compliance
- The Clinical Research Center (CRC): A five-bed, phase 1 unit on the 8th floor of the hospital with 24/7 nursing support dedicated to the conduct of clinical research trials.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB): The BRI IRB reviews federal, not-for-profit and investigator initiated studies. The BRI IRB facilitates review of industry-sponsored studies by Western IRB (WIRB) or QUORUM and meets monthly.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC): Provides review and oversight of all research utilizing recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules. IBC review is coordinated by the IRB. Meets bi-monthly.
- Committed Laboratory Space for specimen processing and shipping.
- Core Research Laboratories: BRI maintains state-of-the-art facilities for specialized testing. Learn more about BRI's core laboratories.
- Development of protocol-specific enrollment tools and source documents
- Specimen processing and shipping
- Internal auditing and training programs
For more information call the Clinical Research Program at (206) 287-1026 or email us at CRP@BenaroyaResearch.org.
Cheryl Weaver, CCRC, CCRA
Director of Scientific Administration
Lynn M. Rose, PhD