Brad Stone, PhD
Research Assistant Member
Dr. Stone received his bachelor’s degree in General Science from the University of Denver. He received his PhD in Cell Biology from the University of New Mexico in 1994. After post-doctoral work in the University of Washington Urology and Oncology Departments, he joined the Benaroya Research Institute as a Research Scientist. In 2003, Dr. Stone joined the Research Faculty of the Benaroya Research Institute and established the Benaroya Research Institute Microarray Core Facility.
Areas of Research
A major focus of Dr. Stone's laboratory is the identification of minor histocompatibility antigens (mHags) targeted by donor T-cells following allogeneic hematopoietic cellular transplantation. We are developing high-throughput, bioinformatics-based techniques to predict and test responses to novel mHags associated with graft-versus-leukemia (GVL) and graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD). Responses to candidate mHags are tested in patient samples using a high throughput ELISPOT, and confirmed by class I tetramer analysis. Mapping of the immune response to minor antigens may facilitate a more accurate GVHD prognosis prior to transplant, and may lead to novel immunotherapeutic strategies designed to augment the GVL response while minimizing the harmful effects of GVHD.
1. Murphy, S, Kas, A, Stone, BC, Bevan, MJ (2013) A T-cell response to a liver-stage Plasmodium antigen is not boosted by repeated sporozoite immunizations, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U S A, 110 (15), p6055-p6060 (PMID: 23530242)
2. Graves SS, Hogan W, Kuhr CS, Diaconescu R, Harkey MA, Georges GE, Sale
GE, Zellmer E, Baran S, Jochum C, Stone BC, Storb R (Jul 2007) Stabltrichimerism after marrow grafting from 2 DLA-identical canine donors and nonmyeloablative conditioning., Blood, 110 (1), 418-23 (PMID: 17369487)
3.. Knutson KL, Lu H, Stone BC, Reiman JM, Behrens MD, Prosperi CM, Gad EA, Smorlesi A, Disis ML (Aug 2006) Immunoediting of cancers may lead to epithelial to mesenchymal transition., Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950), 177 (3), 1526-33 (PMID: 16849459)
4. Mooney CJ, Dunphy EJ, Stone BC, McNeel DG (Mar 2006) Identification of autoantibodies elicited in a patient with prostate cancer presenting as dermatomyositis., International journal of urology : official journal of the Japanese Urological Association, 13 (3), 211-7 (PMID: 16643611)
5. Ravits, J, Laurie, P, Stone, BC (2005) Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis microgenomics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, Elsevier Inc., p909-p924
6. Stone BC, Schummer M, Paley PJ, Thompson L, Stewart J, Ford M, Crawford M, Urban N, O'Briant K, Nelson BH (Mar 2003) Serologic analysis of ovarian tumor antigens reveals a bias toward antigens encoded on 17q., International Journal of Cancer. Journal International Du Cancer, 104 (1), 73-84 (PMID: 12532422)
7. Stone BC, Schummer M, Paley PJ, Crawford M, Ford M, Urban N, Nelson BH (Apr 2001) MAGE-F1, a novel ubiquitously expressed member of the MAGE superfamily., Gene, 267 (2), 173-82 (PMID: 11313144)
8. Stone BC (1997) Targeted RNA Fingerprinting, Springer Lab Manual, Springer- Verlag, p371-p387
9. Stone BC, Wharton W (Jul 1994) Targeted RNA fingerprinting: the cloning of differentially-expressed cDNA fragments enriched for members of the zinc finger gene family., Nucleic Acids Research, 22 (13), 2612-8 (PMID: 7518916)